TDHCA announces new plan to help Tarrant County residents with delinquent property taxes – NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth

In a new program announced Tuesday, Tarrant County residents will now be able to receive help paying off their housing debt.

Under the U.S. bailout, eligible homeowners can apply for assistance with overdue property taxes.

“The release of these funds is very timely and has already helped taxpayers in a test county in Texas, and Tarrant is one of the first to adopt them for the benefit of our taxpayers,” said Wendy Burgess, assessor and collector of the taxes.

According to the Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs (TDHCA), the program can help qualified homeowners avoid foreclosure associated with financial hardship during the height of the pandemic.

All information is submitted and approved by TDHCA and may be used to cover delinquent property taxes and mortgage payments.

Homeowners can request up to $25,000, which can also be used to cover eligible court costs, writ costs, and other lawsuit-related costs.

“Please apply online today if you qualify before the program ends or are short on funds,” Burgess said.

To qualify for assistance, the following guidelines and required documents include:

  • Have proof of delinquency (overdue tax declaration, opinion of the tax attorney)
  • Being late on one or more payments: property tax, mortgage, home insurance, HOA/Condo fees
  • Have a household income at or below 100% of the regional median income (AMI) or 100% of the median income for the United States, whichever is greater
  • Own and occupy a home in Texas as a principal residence with an existing homestead exemption in place with the assessment district
  • Experienced qualified financial hardship after January 21, 2020 (loss of income or increased expenses as a result of the pandemic)
  • Include approved ID, driver’s license, social security card, military ID, national ID, birth certificate
  • Verified tax return (W2, IRS form 1099, tax return, payslip, employer certificate)

For more information, go to or call 833-651-3874.

Comments are closed.