Ayuda Line: What to do if you suspect identity theft | Way of life

If you believe someone has impersonated you, you should immediately report it to the Consumer Protection Division of the Office of the Attorney General.

The office tracks scam trends they see locally, alerts the community, and helps connect victims to resources that can help them rebuild their lives.

You should also consider alerting your family and friends if your email or social media account has been compromised.

Sometimes scammers use personal information to scam another victim. For example, they will email from a relative’s address and say they are stranded in a foreign country, then ask to borrow money until they can get back in safe in Guam.

In many cases, the scammers come from a different country or state. For example, when you hear of a data breach from big business, it’s often the off-island people who have breached that data who will sell that information, which includes your address or social security number, to identity thieves.

Unfortunately, in cases like this, it’s nearly impossible to track down the people who stole your information.

You will need to provide supporting documentation related to your complaint. It could be printouts of bank statements or emails that alerted you to the fact that you might be a victim of identity theft.

Other reports

According to voldidentite.org, if you think someone has hacked into your financial accounts, contact your banking institution. Inform them that someone has impersonated you and provide all requested documents. Write down who you contacted and when, as well as copies of any letters you send.

You should also change your usernames, passwords and PINs on all of your online accounts.

If someone has used your information to obtain cable, electric, water, or other similar services, contact your service provider immediately. Inform them that someone has impersonated you and provide all the necessary documents requested. You should also ask them to change your login details or close the account and create a new one.

If someone has used your information to obtain government benefits, contact the agency issuing the benefit. Let them know someone stole your identity and ask them what you need to do to fix the problem. If you stopped receiving benefits because of identity theft, ask what you need to do to restore them.

If someone opened a school loan or program using your personal information, contact the school or program and explain the situation. Ask them to close the loan and send you a letter stating that you are not responsible for the loan.

If someone has rented a property using your information, talk to the landlord and ask them what tenant history services they have used. Ask for a copy of your tenant history report and ask what steps you need to take to correct fraudulent information in the report.

Additional Recovery Steps

Depending on your situation, you may need to take additional steps.

You may need to apply for new government-issued identification, such as your Social Security card, passport, or driver’s license. You can find out how to replace your social security card by searching “Ayuda Line” on our website.

If there is a debt claimed in your name, you must contact the debt collector immediately and provide a copy of your identity theft report and any other necessary documents.

If someone is arrested using your personal information, contact law enforcement. You will need to file an identity theft report and provide copies of your fingerprints, photograph and identification documents.

For more information on identity theft, contact the Consumer Protection Division of the Attorney General’s Office at [email protected] or call 671-475-2720.

You can also find more resources and information on the Federal Trade Commission’s website at ftc.gov.

Comments are closed.