Alleged gang leader arrested for trying to hit Cape Town barrister William Booth

Cape Town-based lawyer William Booth

  • A suspected gang leader has been arrested in connection with an attempted hit.
  • The blow was struck at Cape Town barrister William Booth.
  • Three people, including the alleged gang leader’s wife, had previously pleaded guilty to the charges.

A suspected gang leader has been arrested in connection with the attempted hit on Cape Town barrister William Booth.

Moegamat Toufiek Brown, known as ‘Bubbles’, was arrested and appeared in Cape Town High Court on Thursday.

The 25-year-old faces charges of possession of an unlicensed firearm and ammunition, as well as gang-related charges under the Organized Crime Prevention Act, the gatekeeper said. -word of the Hawks, Colonel Katlego Mogale.

The case was adjourned to Monday for the appointment of a legal representative.

Brown is accused of acting as an intermediary in planning and orchestrating the attempted assassination of defense attorney Booth on April 9, 2020.

Several people have been charged in connection with the attempted coup. Brown’s wife, Kauthar Brown, Ebrahim Deare and Riyaad Gasant pleaded guilty.

In terms of the plea and sentencing agreement, Kauthar Brown will serve three years of house arrest, Deare will serve 10 years in prison and Gasant will serve five years in prison.

READ | Three accused of attempted murder of Cape Town lawyer William Booth plead guilty

Charges against a fourth defendant, Kim Smith, were dropped.

Two others – notorious underworld figure Nafiz Modack and Springs debt collector and former rugby player Zane Kilian – are on trial for Booth’s attempted murder. Moegamat Toufiek Brown’s name will be added to the indictment, Mogale said.

Kilian was added to the case after his arrest in connection with the murder of anti-gang unit detective Charl Kinnear, who was shot dead in Cape Town on September 18, 2020. Kilian allegedly rang the mobile phones of Booth and his woman to track Booth’s location.

News24 previously reported that the hit was ordered by a member of the Terrible West Siders gang from prison. Kauthar Brown admitted to planning the hit, and Deare and Gasant were sent to Booth’s address.

Deare admitted to approaching Booth in his garage, where he was standing with his two dogs. He fired five rounds at Booth, before fleeing in a vehicle with Gasant and a driver. The three received payment later that night.

Never miss a story. Choose from our range of newsletters to get the news you want straight to your inbox.

Comments are closed.